[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 438: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Palmetto Region Forum • View topic - 2012 Tail of the Dragon: Sept 28-30

2012 Tail of the Dragon: Sept 28-30

Social Events Discussion

2012 Tail of the Dragon: Sept 28-30

Postby jennmills » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Mark your calendars everyone, September 28 – 30th. Those dates mark the return of the Porsche’s to the Tail of the Dragon (318 turns in 11 miles). That’s right 318, windy, switchback, tight, twisting turns in just 11 miles. Basically you are constantly turning either right or left with no break. Making the road even more challenging is the descending turn that goes straight up to an ascending turn. Throw in the rock solid side of a mountain about an arms-length out your passenger’s window and you have a road that is not for the faint of heart or timid driver. Even the best of drivers have felt the bite of the Dragon. You could equate it to a NASCAR driver receiving their Darlington strip.

If you’ll be a newcomer to the drive, don’t worry, there are some straight roads and some less aggressive turns. The Tail is definitely a challenge but once driven you should come away with a whole new sense of what your Porsche is capable and what you are capable. I speak from experience. Just ask Ken. I drive my 944 completely different and with a higher confidence level then before I drove the Tail. But I would like to stress this is a fun event and we want everyone to return home safely and with incident. So, again, mark your calendars.

Room rates are again $89 per night and Fontana Village. These are lodge room’s and not cabins. The room hold and special rate will be available till August 28th, so make your reservation early to ensure a room at the special rate (800.849.2258). Make sure to let them know you are with the Porsche club. You will be required to pay the first night’s rate when you make your reservation. Friday night we will have our normal social in the downstairs sitting area (near the conference rooms). I will be asking each attendee to bring a small, easily transportable appetizer for the social. Saturday night’s group dinner and Saturday lunch arrangements are still in the process of being finalized. We do ask that when you register for the event that you make your payment at that time. For those wanting them, t-shirts will be available (these will need to be paid for when ordering and are NOT included in the registration fee.)

As more definite details are confirmed and become available they will be posted on the website and upcoming newsletter issues. Please contact Jackie at pors928v8@yahoo.com regarding the appetizer you’d like to bring or any questions regarding the event, thanks.

Event registration is $20 a car which includes a shirt. Additional shirts are $15.
Jennifer Mills
2006 997S
1984 Targa
jennmills
President

2006 Porsche 997

Re: 2012 Tail of the Dragon: Sept 28-30

Postby pors928v8 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:55 pm

UPDATED DETAILS FOR THE TRIP:
Previously stated t-shirts were not included in the registration fee. THEY ARE included. Registration is $20 per car. Friday's social 6:30pm in the downstairs lobby near the conference rooms (by the exit to the outdoor pool in the main lodge). Possible lunch stop in Seneca, SC (near Walhalla) for about 1pm at the Cooper River Grill (it is on the main route we take through there). This will be finalized closer to the departure date.

Maps of the driving route up and the driving route on Saturday will be furnished at the meeting point on I-26 or at the social for those not caravaning up from the Charleston area.

After you have registered on-line please contact me by email. As in the past we are asking everyone (each car) to bring a little something for the social. You need not worry about serving dishes, etc, just the food item or paper items that you'll be bringing. It is a bring your own beverage and you will need to provide for your beverage.

Also if you can email me with a cell phone number. We do this so that everyone attending has the means of contacting someone else within the group as sometimes we do get separated from each other on the drive up and during the actual Tail Drive. This ensures that everyone can reach someone if they need help. Thanks and look forward to seeing everyone there. Don't forget hotel discount deadline is AUG 28th.
pors928v8
Newsletter Editor

1986 Porsche 944

Postby thompenney » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:32 am

My cell number is 843-709-5737 Thom Penney
thompenney

Postby thompenney » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Check out "Chasing the Dragon" Hillclimb in Robbinsville on September 29-30. It will be happening while we are there.
thompenney

Postby pors928v8 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Jennifer mentioned it to me too. It looks like a pretty interesting event.
pors928v8
Newsletter Editor

1986 Porsche 944

Postby thompenney » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Google "Smart Ride Tail of the Dragon". It has a map of the area around the Tail of the Dragon complete with Wayah Road and Speed Trap locations.
thompenney

Return to Social Events